Benefits of Music
As a parent, you may wonder from time to time if you are doing the right thing and making the right choices for your little one. After all, you want the best for your child. It’s probably one of the reasons you enrolled in Kindermusik in the first place. Take heart. You ARE in the right place.
When young children are consistently engaged by music in an age-appropriate, socially accepting environment, they benefit on so many levels. Learning through music literally lights up every area of your child’s brain and teaches your little one to love learning. When we recite a nursery rhyme, participate in a circle dance or movement activity, play a vocal game, and explore instruments, children develop in so many ways:
- Early Literacy. They gain the phonological processing, spoken language, and comprehension skills that are the foundation of reading.
- Quantitative Reasoning. They build the spatial-temporal and reasoning skills required for maths, science, and engineering.
- Social-Emotional Skills. They develop social and emotional skills that are essential for school readiness—like the ability to regulate their responses and relate to others in complex ways.
- Physical Dexterity. By moving and dancing to music and playing simple instruments, children improve their gross- and fine-motor skills.
- Creativity. Activities that encourage freedom within a fun and friendly structure spark children’s creativity and provide inspiration.
- And, of course, they develop a lifelong love of music.
Everyday Connection: Let the music play. You are your child’s first and best teacher. Throughout the week, listen to music from class together, sing lullabies, dance around the house, or do favorite activities from last week’s lesson. Your child will love spending special time with you, and you will love the positive effects music has on your child!